Monday, May 16, 2011

A Blessing

While shopping at a grocery store the other day, I happened to stand in line with a parent of a former student of mine years ago.  I didn't recognize her at first. Her eyes were dry looking, with dark lines below.  Her outfit was unusually casual, a little unbalanced. She had always struck me as a sophisticated dresser, complete with fine skin, cosmetics, and a stylish hairdo. She looked, for the first time, to me anyway, humble, and tired.

As our conversation continued, I asked her if she was feeling okay.  I knew that she was a professional and lived the hectic life of dropping off the kids to school and going to work, not lulling around the grocery store like I was to dissipate the morning energy of a toddler.  She had revealed to me that her in-laws recently moved in with them, and that she was feeling exhausted caring for them.

It was her first time to have to care for a sick, elderly person.  The doctor visits, the pharmacy trips, the additional groceries and chores around the house had made this woman completely worn out. She did not know how long they would be staying and for now she was just trying to survive.  As we spoke, I could feel her exhaustion, the physical and mental endurance she required to please, entertain, and care for her husband's parents. 

Despite all of the distress, she mentioned that it was a "blessing" that they were here.  I have recognized the blessing of having a parent live in our own home, despite the work, physical and mental, required to maintain the tranquility.  Speaking with her made me realize another blessing -- our health, and especially my mother-in-law's health.  At seventy-nine years of age, she is still medication-, wheel-chair-, and surgery- free.  We have it so easy compared to this woman and I need to continue to thank God for what we have.

No comments:

Post a Comment