Monday, May 16, 2011

All Quiet on the Home Front

There is no monotony in peace.  For months my mother-in-law and I have been living fairly harmoniously, even though I am no longer working full-time and out of the house most of the day.  We have adapted a routine for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  We each have our own tasks during the morning, afternoon, and evening.  Our schedules overlap whenever she has a social gathering or healthcare appointment.  Whenever we are eager to chat, doors are open and we find ourselves in the common areas of the kitchen, family room, dining room. or deck.  Whenever we need our privacy, our separate rooms are our refuge, even more so now that our rooms are no longer directly across the hall from the other. 

We have had our share of clashes and struggles, all emotionally draining.  On bad days, suspicion and remembrance of past grievances may hover in the air, but overall we are able to forge on in peace.  Journaling is one critical way I have been able to survive, so to speak. In my next few blogs, I would like to address other methods that have allowed me to continue living, somewhat unconventionally in this society, with my mother-in-law.

No comments:

Post a Comment