Monday, April 18, 2011

A Gift for No Occasion

I may have mentioned once or twice that I am not the type of person who enjoys shopping trips, especially to department stores or the mall.  When my daughter recently informed me that she was invited to a party during spring break, I braced myself, knowing full well that this would require a trip to a store to buy a gift for the hostess.

Last minute it seemed, we pulled into the local Wal-mart, a store which I have always considered the worst of the worst.  There to greet me was a door greeter too engrossed with chatting with another employee.  No help with the cart there.  No morning smile.  No sticker for my little one. 

I chose to shop early, around 8 am, knowing that my ability to deal with too many shoppers and the store in general, was limited.  The aisles were more spacious without other carts in front or behind me, and my daughter did find some nice pieces of jewelry to give.  She even selected another piece for a different friend whose party was also upcoming.

As we were about to check out, I noticed some sales at the Ladies' Department.  I momentarily considered how much my mother-in-law would have loved coming here.  This store has a nice selection of plus-size garments, with affordable prices.  With great elation, I found something suitable for her in less than five minutes (my type of shopping).  With these being clearance items, the low cost was surprising for these fairly pretty fabrics.  Of course, the excitement of the experience stopped when we reached the express lane -- not exactly rude, but an unfriendly sort of gentleman with a strong accent scanned my items.  The only words he was able to exchange with me were how much the total cost was. 

I tried to not let this robotic, perhaps ungrateful man (wouldn't anyone be happy with a job in this economy?) ruin my shopping experience, and began to feel satisified that I had a nice gift to present, with other gifts, for a future holiday.  When I reached home and was greeted by her (sometimes a rare experience), I was overcome with the sudden urge to just give her the clothes then and there.

And so I did, whole-heartedly.  I truly wanted her to enjoy them, especially the pink blouse -- it was so perfect for the springtime.

My mother-in-law was very pleased.  And I, despite the people I had to deal with when shopping at that store, felt happy, too.  Gifts surely soften the heart and take us away from malice.

No comments:

Post a Comment