Thursday, September 8, 2011

Social Security

After listening to the highlights of the GOP presidential candidates' debate last night, I kept thinking about the "monstrous lie" -- social security.  My parents actually survive on it.  They, along with my many aunts and uncles, carefully calculated the best date to retire based on it.  Their whole financial planning is based on that monthly deposit.

My mother-in-law, who has not worked to contribute to it, does not collect.  She has her own savings and she has no bills to pay living with us.  With the privacy of her own room and bathroom, all utilities, technology (she is very computer savvy for her age), transportation, entertainment, and food available to her, I feel confident in stating that she is all set.

Of course, nothing is perfect, but it made me consider the scenario that if everyone took care of their parents and in-laws (I would need to have a bigger house to include my own parents), and if in natural exchange the elders took care of the youngsters, we, in an ideal world would be rid of the necessity for daycare and nursing home expenses.  Ideally, with everyone helping each other in this multi-generational house, we would achieve a sense of safety, belonging and community, in other words, a sense of social security.

No comments:

Post a Comment