Thursday, October 13, 2011

Senior Spectacular

Next week, Worcester, MA area residents are in for a treat, the Senior Spectacular. My mother-in-law is especially looking forward to the event, priming herself for the walk expected for that day, the jaunt from the parking garage to the DCU, and then up to the exhibit hall itself. In a few days she will most likely have her sleeping pattern adjusted so that her nap-time will be pushed to the later part of the afternoon, as it is a morning event. She'll have her outfit chosen, walking cane set against her purse and new water bottle. Even her shoes will be ready to be slipped into, yet still half tucked under her bed so that her youngest grandson doesn't get tempted to try them on once again.

When I was a freshman in college, one of the most enjoyable evenings I spent was with my mother at my aunt's house -- a Tupperware party, of all things. Now I find my own self looking forward to this elderly event, making me wonder, am I a woman beyond my years?

In any case, the event is really spectacular. There are booths and booths of information about health, healthy choices, and local organizations that cater to the needs of seniors. We enjoyed complimentary coffee and popcorn, various samples, and advertising trinkets. Her favorite -- a collapsible plastic cup and a hearing health screening. My favorite -- the entertainment, live singing of old musicals and broadway tunes with puppets.

What I am sure she cherished the most were the conversations she had at each booth. The friendly smiles, the exchange of names and numbers, the information and small give-aways can only brighten up a person who normally lives a quiet life at home.

If you are a caregiver, like me, I urge you to investigate what your local community offers for seniors. Try a search on the internet. Our town announcement board had a huge sign for a health fair at the senior center to be held at the end of the month. Every June we attend an "Arthritis Symposium" at a local museum which includes a luncheon with a guest speaker, generally focusing on the latest research updates. Later there are workshops ranging from finances to gardening and exercising with arthritis.

Whatever you find, may it edify both you and your mother-in-law, and invigorate your relationship!

No comments:

Post a Comment